Sunday, May 10, 2009

Measures of success...


I spent most of today at a college graduation and it got me thinking..(because I do my best thinking when I need to focus on not being bored to tears!)...why is a diploma the conventional way of measuring "success" in our society? As someone who is NOT school oriented, its hard for me to understand the importance of a series of letters after your name. Some of the smartest people I know (and I mean MENSA smart), never attended college, or dropped out. Its such a shame that they can't even interview for certain jobs because they don't have a Bachelors degree, etc. On the other hand, I know a lot of dumb people who have a collection of degrees. To me, a degree shows that you paid a lot of money, sat through boring lectures, and wrote some papers. It is not indicative of intelligence or your ability to succeed in a career. I do give a lot of credit to people who make it through school and have the desire to go on to get a Masters, Doctorate, etc. But its not for everybody! (If they had a Masters degree in Fine Dining or Concert Attending, that may be something I'd be interested in.....)
Congrats to my Mom for getting her Masters degree today! I know how hard she's worked and how much she wanted it. Thanks to Apple for inventing the video Ipod, which did a wonderful job of entertaining me discreetly during todays lengthy festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment