Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Knight to Remember



Before I was sidelined by surgery, I had purchased tickets to see the legendary Paul McCartney at Citi Field. I was not about to let anything stop me from going to this concert, including intermittent stabbing pains. Or rain for that matter. It had been raining all day, but luckily it had become just a fine hair-frizzing mist by the time Paul hit the stage (which was at 9pm, contrary to the 6:30 start time on the ticket--glad I was aware of this before I went so I arrived at 8). 9:00 arrives, Paul comes out, the crowd goes nuts, and a familiar scent hits the air...ah to be at a rock concert! Despite being a rock legend and a freakin' Beatle, Paul was so humbled by the crowd and had a "you're all here for me?" attitude all night. Completely refreshing and adorable. He spoke to the crowd a lot, in his cute little accent, which made me want to run onstage and pinch his cheeks and ask him to come over and play Rock Band. I was a little unsure about the setlist, as he played a lot of his solo stuff aside from Beatles and Wings music. But he somehow managed to balance the unfamiliar and familiar in such a way that you didn't need to get up for a bathroom break during the songs you didn't know. He sang over 30 songs and sounded just as good as the record on every one. I was truly blown away by him. I have now seen the two remaining Beatles live in concert and I consider it a privilege to say I saw Paul McCartney at Citi Field!
SETLIST: Drive My Car / Jet / Only Mama Knows / Flaming Pie / Got To Get You Into My Life / Let Me Roll It/Purple Haze / Highway / The Long and Winding Road / My Love / Blackbird / Here Today / Dance Tonight / Calico Skies / Mrs. Vanderbilt / Eleanor Rigby / Sing the Changes / Band on the Run / Back in the U.S.S.R. / I’m Down / Something / I’ve Got a Feeling / Paperback Writer / A Day in the Life/Give Peace a Chance / Let It Be / Live and Let Die / Hey Jude // ENCORES: Day Tripper / Lady Madonna / I Saw Her Standing There / Yesterday / Helter Skelter / Get Back / Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band/The End

No comments:

Post a Comment